Oxalic Acid is one of the treatment options for varroa mites – arguably the arch-nemesis of the honeybee today. The Varroa mites have made beekeeping a challenge since they made their way to the United States in the 1980s. They cause some direct problems, like wing deformities and spreading viruses. They also cause indirect problems by weakening the immune system, which opens the door to another problem.
I haven't seen a hive completely free of Varroa mites. Therefore, keeping their number low in the nest is important. One way to do this is to treat them with oxalic acid droplets, which I will explain in detail on future blogs. Oxalate acid can be purchased online or you can search for oxalic acid for sale in your local chemical stores.
What exactly oxalic acid is?
This is an organic compound with hco formula. It does not have colour, appears as a white crystalline powder, and dissolves in liquid. There are benefits and drawbacks to nearly every mite treatment, but I have to say oxalic acid is the one treatment with the most benefits and least amount of drawbacks that I have used. Furthermore, this substance was recently permitted for Varroa care in the US, which made it a choice that can be accessed for US backyard beekeepers!
- Synthetic chemical care and essential oil can leave a trace in honey. Oxalic acid is a natural component of honey and does not leave an unwanted trace.
- These are natural and organic substances found in plants, such as spinach and rhubarb.
- It's not lipid and won't build a residue in a beeswax.
- Easy to apply!